Thursday, December 2, 2010

Towelhead Literary Devices

Alliteration
"Daddy crunched the cartilage..."
(pg.60)


Simile
"The bartender came and set two margaritas in front of us... I took a sip of mine. It was like a lime SnoKone."
(pg. 109)


Allusion
"Saddam will be dead in a couple of days."
(pg. 155)


Imagery
"I just heard her... short breaths... which she had explained to me were because of [the baby], who was beginning to squash her lungs."
(pg. 154)


Situational Irony
"Mr. Vuoso didn't get called up. I kept waiting for him to leave, but he didnt."
(pg. 234)

*Dramatic Irony

"Were you reading about rape?" "I wasn't."
(pg. 206)
* The audience knows that Jasira was molested, but Melina (the woman who asked the question above) does not know.

Hyperbole

"It was like she was dying or something."
(pg. 19)

Onomatopoeia

"It was supposed to pop."
(pg. 197)

Assonance

"Finally he looked over at me..."
(pg. 196)

Apostrophe

"Jesus Christ."
(pg. 227)

No comments:

Post a Comment